Chicken Karahi – Easy Pakistani Recipe Video – Lifestyle by IK
Seize some fluffy Naan! Chicken Karahi (or Kadai Chicken) is an aromatic Pakistani Chicken Curry that may have you ever eager to dig in and savor each final chunk!
Chicken Karahi or Chicken Kadai is a traditional Pakistani curry dish, very popular among the public in Pakistan and India. You can find in most restaurant menus easily. It is often enjoyed with the hot naan or roti made in tandoor.
Chicken Karahi is generally available and cooked at the roadside shacks (dhabas). It does not take more than 30 minutes to cook and the recipe we are sharing with you does not involve finicky steps.
How It Was Named Chicken Karahi?
Chicken Karahi is cooked in a Pan in which it was initially cooked, known as Karahi. It is a heavy, usually cast-iron pan that’s much like a wok, however rounder with a flatter base. This is the reason it was named Chicken Karahi. Historically, meat could be simmered and stir-fried on this karahi in an open fireplace.
Suggestions And Variations In Chicken Karahi
- Kashmiri red chili powder may be substituted with any delicate chili powder.
- Be sure to cube the ginger very small so that you do get large pieces of ginger within the curry.
- To cut back the spice on this curry, reduce the amount of purple chili powder, garam masala, and ginger by half.
- To make the curry extra spicy and sizzling, add a sliced jalapeño together with the onions.
Chicken Karahi Recipe – Ingredients
- Chicken 500 grams
- Onion 1 small
- Salt as per taste
- Tomato 1 medium size
- Whole spices 1 teaspoon
- Yogurt 2 tablespoon
- Black pepper 1 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- Ginger, mint, and coriander for garnishing at the end
- Green chili as per taste
- Ginger garlic paste 1 tablespoon
- Oil half cup
Directions or Instructions
As always, before we take the start and cook chicken karahi, please wash your hands properly to maintain the hygiene and keep the environment and places clean.
Let’s have a look at the directions on how to make chicken karahi in 30 minutes.
- Add oil in a pot
- Now add onion and fry until it becomes light golden
- Add ginger-garlic paste and tomatoes and fry until soft
- Add yogurt and mix well
- Mix until they are combined together
- Add all remaining ingredients and mix for a minute
- Then add chicken and give a good mix with all the ingredients present in the pot
- Add a cup or half of the water and cover the pot
- When chicken completely tenders then increase the flame and cook until all the water dries up
- Garnish and serve with hot naan or roti
I hope you liked the chicken karahi recipe and its details. If you still have any confusion in reading the recipe, you can always watch the full video at the top of this post or click here to watch on YouTube directly.
I would love to get your comments and suggestions in the comment section below. This really helps me to bring new recipes for you. You can follow us on Instagram and tag your recipes, I will definitely comment on your recipe.
You may also like my other recipes:
Dr. Iqra Khawar
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.
We respect your privacy and take protecting it seriously