Coronavirus Update -, Information, Symptoms & Prevention
The novel Coronavirus or COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2) has affected 11,813,497 people worldwide. As a result, 542,678 deaths have been reported and 6,794,905 people are now recovered worldwide as of July 7, 2020.
The virus is known to spread from person to person, as a result, countries around the world have announced nationwide lockdown to stop the spread. Until now, the only way to prevent this is the social distancing technique. I would rather say, it is more of a physical distancing and not social distancing.
The first case was reported in Wuhan in December 2019. The population of Wuhan is 11 million.
- 1 China seems to have controlled the spread of the Coronavirus, however, cases are being reported in other parts of the world.
- 2 Most Affected Countries as of 3 May 2020:
- 3 What are the Symptoms of Coronavirus COVID-19?
- 4 How Coronavirus is Spread?
- 5 How to Protect Yourself from Coronavirus?
- 6 How to Protect Others from Coronavirus?
China seems to have controlled the spread of the Coronavirus, however, cases are being reported in other parts of the world.
Countries are now working on the strategy of quarantine and social distancing. Italy, China, El Salvador, New Zealand, Poland, Ireland, Denmark, Spain, France, and Malaysia have implemented the world’s largest and most restrictive mass quarantines.
Many countries are now imposing travel restrictions to stop the spread of coronavirus. However, as of May 3, 2020, many countries have started operating flights with strict precautions.
Some countries, like Pakistan, have also taken measures to close their provincial border movements by imposing strict restrictions. On the other hand, the government is moving now towards the smart lockdown rather than a complete lockdown to prevent economic damage.
As a result of the above measures, countries are at least working on a model to prevent further spread. On the other hand, vaccines take time because of their long approvals from the FDA. However, the FDA is working on a fast-track model to bring them within a year at least.
Most Affected Countries as of 3 May 2020:
What are the Symptoms of Coronavirus COVID-19?
- Dry Cough and
- Shortness of breath
- Some symptoms related to diarrhea were also reported, but are rare in occurrence
Research shows that some people have reported gastrointestinal upset. The above symptoms are the most common when you develop an infection. If you have these symptoms, you should consult your doctor immediately. They will perform to see if this is a SARS-CoV-2 infection or not.
Below chart shows the COVID-19 symptoms compared to common conditions:
How Coronavirus is Spread?
The coronavirus spreads mainly from person-to-person, who are in close contact with one another. The virus can also spread through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
The droplets can land in the mouth or nose of nearby people or surfaces, such as metal and wood. Hence, there is a chance of inhalation of these into the lungs. If someone touches the surfaces and in turn touches his/her nose, still it can transmit into the lungs.
How to Protect Yourself from Coronavirus?
There is currently no vaccine to prevent coronavirus COVID-19 disease. However, researchers and pharmaceutical companies worldwide are actively working on creating a vaccine for this particular virus.
On the other hand, there are certain preventive measures that you can take to protect yourself and the community from the virus to spread further.
The most common and effective measure it to clean your hands often
- Wash your hands properly with soap for at least 20 seconds.
- You should do this especially if you have been in contact with the person you suspect might have flu.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- You should avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Put distance between yourself and other people if COVID-19 is spreading in your community.
Clean AND disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily.
- This includes tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets, and sinks.
- If surfaces are dirty, clean them. Use detergent, soap, and water before disinfection.
How to Protect Others from Coronavirus?
If you suspect you have flu or any of the symptoms associated with coronavirus, take the following measures to protect the community:
- Stay home if you are sick. Visit the doctor to seek medical attention.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing.
- Throw used tissues in the trash.
- Immediately wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Wear a facemask if you are sick.
- You should wear a facemask when you are around other people (e.g., sharing a room or vehicle) and before you enter a healthcare provider’s office.